All photos on this site are copyright Sue Clark or used with permission of Holland America. No other use permitted.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Random Thoughts

  We are just two days from the end of the cruise. As usual I could stay on for another one, but I’d want a balcony cabin. We have managed ok with the outside cabin, but we both really missed the balcony… then again I could wish they would somehow just give me the Penthouse! The space in the outside cabin is fine - actually bigger than some balcony cabins as we have a loveseat, chair and coffee table, but I miss the sound of the sea and the fresh air and having the floor to ceiling size of the sliding door as a window to see outside.

 
The computer that runs the ship information channel on the TV broke shortly after the cruise began. That is the channel where you get current information on temperature, wind, wave height, etc. It also gives the ship location on a map so you can get a good idea of your location. I had never realized how much I depended on this until it wasn’t available. I would have especially used it while we were in the Chilean fjords, Antarctica and the Amazon. They say it will be fixed for the next cruise-the new computer is waiting in Fort Lauderdale.

 
The crew and staff of Prinsendam is probably the best we have ever experienced. Although I think the cutbacks are slightly noticeable in that the stewards and waiters care for more people than some years back, everyone is happy and cheerful (at least when we, the passengers, can see them). They all seem to enjoy their jobs and to really like being on Prinsendam as they really do get to see the world as opposed to the ships in the Caribbean and/or Alaska.

 
I have found the people on the ship to be very friendly and polite - of course, there are the exceptions… a couple that are constantly complaining about everything and one lady that is one of the rudest people I’ve ever been around - she is one of those that thinks everything should revolve around her and demands that it happen that way.

 
I’ve made a number of new friends that I hope to keep in contact with.

 
The attire of the passengers (on all lines we have been on recently) is considerably more relaxed than even just a few years ago. Formal nights are not nearly as formal and it seems they don’t even ask passengers that are not at all dressed up to change clothes or use the lido for that evening. I’ve heard a number of complaints from people that don’t like the ‘casual’ atmosphere. I guess it is here to stay and we will have to adapt or move to Cunard.

  
That’s it for now… I might have more later. I’ve added thoughts from a number of people that have wandered by as I’ve been writing.

 

 

 
Thoughts from other People:
  • I feel like I’m leaving a new family - passengers and crew.
  •  
  • I don’t know how anyone could experience Antarctica and not believe in a Higher Power.
  • Exciting and Awesome.
  •  
  • We’re on course (from the Captain).
  •  
  • I like the food on the ship.
  • The way the staff and crew treat you they make you feel special.
  • They should put a cover on the extra roll of toilet paper so men don’t “whiz” on it. [note from Sue - you have to wonder about this guy if this was his only 'thought' of the cruise]
  • Cold and Penguins (from Thom, Cruise Director)
  •  
  • This is a ‘complete’ cruise, we have traveled in all types of weather and climates. There is nothing that beats Antarctica. (from Kevin, Asst. Cruise Director)
  • Unexpected. The brochure told you what to expect, but it was so much more. I couldn’t believe the juxtaposition of Antarctica /vs. Amazon River. I had expected the Amazon River to be the highlight of the cruise, but it turned out to be Antarctica. I just couldn’t believe it.
  •  
  • 70 days seems like eternity on a boat.
  •  
  • Not many 33 year olds haven’t been on a cruise this long.
  •  
  • 70 days is just not long enough… I could stay on for more (except maybe to see my new granddaughter).
  •  
  • The cruise went to too many places that were too similar.
  •  
  • Fun.
  •  
  • Can’t wait to do it again.
  • I’m glad I did it, but I’m glad it’s over.

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the excellent blog Sue - I have been following a few of them from this cruise so you will have to check them out when you get back. Plus have been following Captain Albert's blog. Really appreciate the time you guys put into this so we could cruise vicariously with you.

    Spring is finally springing although we still have 7 - 8' piles and about 3' in the unshaded areas. Thinking real hard about moving to St. George, UT this coming fall. I can't deal with cold and snow anymore.

    Thanks again
    Ben

    ReplyDelete